Supervisor HIM Operations
Company: Advocate Aurora Health
Location: Carol Stream
Posted on: June 20, 2022
Oversees and coordinates Health Information Management (HIM) for
assigned sites to support the overall strategy of system HIM and
Advocate Aurora Health (AAH). Supervises team members and the HIM
Operations functions for assigned site(s). Ensures all areas of
oversight follow standardized policies and processes to support the
single medical record strategy. Responsible for the communication
and resolution of issues in partnership with various leadership and
team members. Major Responsibilities:
- Supervises health information operations assigned location(s)
including: documentation completion, record retention/destruction,
document image capture. Monitors documentation compliance and the
deficiency process including consequences for non-compliance.
- Coordinates resources and daily work activities of team members
to lead a cohesive team and meet operational objectives. Ensures
adherence to policies and procedures to enhance quality,
consistency, efficiency, and standardization across sites.
- Serves as Privacy Officer, expert resource, and educator for
HIPAA and state privacy laws. Provides timely guidance and support
to prevent and investigate privacy-related complaints and topics.
Responsible for regularly presenting ongoing education and
reporting privacy updates to team members, clinicians, and senior
- Guided by policies and procedures, uses critical thinking to
identify, escalate, and solve problems while collaborating with
appropriate partners and ensuring standardization across the
system. Drives change and process improvement to revise workflows
to improve efficiency and over all effectiveness.
- Establishes priorities to achieve goals, expectations, and key
performance indicators, including: discharged not final billed
(DNB), cost per unit of service, productivity, turnaround time,
quality, confidentiality, team member and patient engagement, and
service. Reports at minimum monthly on these expectations for areas
of responsibility. Documents and executes a written plan for
correction, should any indicator fall below expectations. Regularly
provides status and feedback to HIM system leadership and the
individual site(s) leadership.
- Ensures documentation availability to support timely and
accurate reimbursement. Supports adherence to various internal and
external legal and compliance expectations including the Centers
for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Hospital Accreditation
Organizations, Hospital Administrative Code, Meaningful Use,
Accountable Care Act, quality metrics, and other state and federal
regulations. Assists in the preparation for, and during various
inspections, audits and surveys.
- Collaborates with leadership in other departments and across
sites. Professionally represents HIM Operations and Revenue Cycle
within committees, teams, and meetings. Disseminates timely,
accurate, and meaningful information to ensure team member
understanding and enhance effectiveness and standardization across
- Ensures patient health information (PHI) is maintained for the
required retention periods, as required by statutory or
organizational policy requirements. Ensures that PHI access and
release conforms to all state and federal laws and
- Collaborates with internal and external vendors such as
Transcription and Release of Information (ROI) partners to ensure
compliance with policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
Coordinates with ROI leaders to manage activities related to
release of information, audit requests and court appearances as
- Performs human resources responsibilities for staff which
includes coaching on performance, completes performance reviews and
overall staff morale. Recommends hiring, compensation changes,
promotions, corrective action decisions, and terminations.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to the
organization's Code of Ethical Conduct and for ensuring that
personal actions, and the actions of employees supervised, comply
with the policies, regulations and laws applicable to the
organization's business.Licensure, Registration, and/or
- Health Information Administrator (RHIA) registration issued by
the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA),
- Health Information Technician (RHIT) registration issued by the
American Health Information Management Association
- Associate's Degree in Health Information Management or related
- Typically requires 3 years of experience in Health Information
Management in complex acute and/or ambulatory
environments.Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of Federal and State privacy, documentation content
and timeliness, and PHI retention requirements. Knowledge of Health
Information Management principles and standards.
- Ability to create and promote a culture of inclusivity and
engagement in which team members differences are embraced and
leveraged to strengthen team effectiveness and efficiencies. Click
here to enter text.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including: coaching others,
creating and improving workflows, problem solving, prioritization,
delegation, team member development, project management, complaint
resolution and customer service.
- Ability to effectively investigate and resolve problems by
using critical thinking that is consistent with standards,
practices, policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
- Excellent verbal, listening, presentation, and written
- Proficient knowledge in the use of electronic health records,
data capture technology, Microsoft office products such as Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, Access and the use of virtual meeting
technology.Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Exposed to a normal office environment.
- Position requires travel; may be exposed to road and weather
- Sits, stands, and walks various times throughout the
- Lifts up to 10 lbs. frequently and up to 40 lbs.
- Operates all equipment necessary to perform the job.This job
description indicates the general nature and level of work expected
of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities
required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be required to perform
other related duties.by Jobble
Keywords: Advocate Aurora Health, Carol Stream , Supervisor HIM Operations, Other , Carol Stream, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!